I don't recall all of the details of that very long and exhausting night. There are many gaps of small details that I don't remember, but it all started with waking up in the middle of the night thinking I had peed on myself! I mean at that point of your pregnancy, anything is possible. You have uncontrollable gas at times, erratic bathroom breaks, etc., so peeing in bed at 38 weeks, I was thinking he had kicked my bladder just right! So I get up and go to the restroom (never woke up Brad, because why would he care if I peed on myself), well the pee just wouldn't stop coming! And the kegel muscles, not working. So I calmly call the Dr.'s office and tell the answering service what's going on and to see if I need to come in immediately. Of course they say "Yes, come on in as soon as you can. It sounds like your water broke." Okay, so now it's game time. So I walk into our bedroom where Brad is curled up in fetal position still snoozing and gently wake him up and tell him we need to go to the hospital because the baby is coming. Apparently I should have used a bullhorn because the poor guy seemed like he was still half asleep and all he could do was worry about finding a clean pair of socks! What happened to bags being packed and ready to go? Not this guy.
So on we go. At the time we were living outside of Houston and the hospital that we wanted to go to in Sugarland was full. So as a backup plan we had registered at two hospitals. The second one was closer to my work (just in case), which was closer to downtown Houston. At 1 o'clock in the morning on a Thursday, traffic was nonexistent and the freeways in Houston Texas were PEACEFUL. It was amazing.
When we walked into the hospital I was immediately wheeled up to labor and delivery. They let me rest for a bit before getting me the epidural. I really wasn't feeling much pain until about 4, but I just could not get any rest. Now Brad on the other hand was curled up on the sleeper chair/sofa snoring away! Brad's grandparents came into town that night (15th) so that they could help with what was supposed to be the next 2 weeks of prepping and getting ready for the baby to come. Prior to the epidural, I went ahead and let them stay in the room because there was literally nothing going on except waiting. So now Pa (Brad's grandad) is snoring. I don't remember what his MeMe was doing. I can't remember if she was nodding off or just staring and smiling, but she was relaxed on that couch too!
I remember finally receiving the epidural and right at about that time, was when I was ready to tear someone apart. This male person, and I'm not going to say who, kept trying to come into the room while I was having my cervix checked! I think had Brad and nurse not been holding me down, this person would have never wanted to speak to me again!
Anyway, onto the nicer and more satisfying part of the whole experience. At one point the doctor came in to check his position and her arm was pretty far up there and she made the comment about how much hair he had. I thought I was going to have physically pick Brad's jaw up off the ground!
It seemed like it took a really long time for me to be fully dilated, but once it happened, it all happened so fast! And at 8:54 am on March 16th, Braeden Rylon Barnes was born. I was so tired from pushing, that when they handed (Brad says they threw) Braeden over, I could barely lift my arms! Brad was so proud! He had the biggest smile on his face and tears in his eyes. They allowed him to walk him down to the nursery and then immediately return to me before rolling me to postpartum. I remember crying but I also remember how exhausting it was.
Two days later we were leaving the hospital, and I remember both of us freaking out because we were having to face reality and drive in Houston midday traffic and make it home safely with our new son! I believe the posted speed limit was 60 and I think we were going 45 with hazard lights on!
It's amazing to look back at your life prior to having a child, and though you may have not been completely reckless, there was definately not anything that measures to the responsibility that you feel when bringing your baby home. Really for most moms who find out that they are pregnant, that sense of protectivness and nurturing ability magically takes over immediately.
Braeden has been our blessing. God's gift to Brad and me. He has this curiostity, but not one that wants to first hand explore it, but wants things explained to him. When given the opportunity, and not letting him think that there is any pressure, he has the most random things to say. He's very shy, but kind of likes to show off a bit once he's comfortable. He is sensitive when it comes to not wanting people to be upset and seems truely concerend when they are. He can be very ornery and is very silly, but he's mostly serious or concerned. I am very proud that he is my son. He and I have made a deal that he will always be my baby and he says that he will always be daddy's boy.
Love him to pieces...



1 comment:
So sweet and fun to hear the details that were the miracle of Braeden:-) Happy Birthday Brae!
Post a Comment